It’s July, the sun is shining and everyone wants to get outdoors and run around in the fresh air. These long hot summer days are making me feel like taking up a sport so I’m going to spend this month concentrate on my Blood Bowl backlog.
First to take to the pitch are my team of Necromantic Horrors. I’ve been working on these since the start of the year so now it’s time to get the last couple of players unearthed and unleashed. After all you can’t have a team called the Up-Town Ghouls without a pair of ghouls can you?
And just like that the team are ready for action!
Of course there’s still a few other odds and ends before we can call this project done; a couple of counters…
… and a couple of markers. These actually belong with the Shambling Undead team (more on them soon) but I really like the look of them so I fast-tracked them up the queue and decided to lend them out to the Ghouls whenever they need them.
Now they just need someone to play against. I already have my Orc teams but variety is the spice of life and I’ve got plenty more Blood Bowl on the desk so let’s see what else we can get finished over the next few weeks.
One more ghoul to round out the warband – for now – and this time it’s the turn of the leader, a fearsome Crypt Infernal. In order to make him stand out a little I used an alternative head from the same kit, which I think means he’s technically a Vargheist – not that I think anyone is going to worry over a technicality like that!
Time to lead his thralls in search of prey!
With him done that’s another Warcry warband completed and ready to unleash. Next up – more ghosts!
Time to focus on all things ghoulish (and ghostly) with only a couple of weeks to go before my planned Flesh-eater Courts vs Nighthaunt Warcry game. So far I’ve mostly been painting the smaller members of the ghoulish warband so now it’s time to tackle something bigger, the crypt flayer. Like his predecessor, the crypt horror, this guy brings some muscle to the team with the added benefit of being able to swoop across the battlefield in suitably horrifying style.
Built as per the instructions the model ends up with one wing raised and one lowered, which makes him look very lopsided. Rather than tolerate such a state of affairs I adjusted it so that both wings were lowered, which called for a bit of greenstuff to get the shoulders looking right. Of course I then discovered that this makes it damn near impossible to get in and paint the legs and the insides of the wings, but sometimes we have to suffer for our art! The warband’s leader – a Crypt Infernal for those trying to keep up with all these crypts! – will have one wing raised and one lowered, I couldn’t face struggling through the process again and it helps make him look a bit bigger and more imposing.
I’m also one ghoul short (of a picnic?) so I got another one painted up, once again taken from the Grymwatch set.
With these done the warband is almost complete, there’s just the warband’s leader – the aforementioned Crypt Infernal – left to paint so I’ll try to bash on and get him done ASAP.
An old favourite amongst my collection of miniatures is this ghastly jester, who scurried along as part of my Vampire Counts army long, long before the ghouls of Sylvania became the twisted knights of the Flesh-eater Courts. I first painted him about a decade ago, and then repainted him in 2017 when I set about tidying up and modernising my Vampire Counts army.
However it struck me that he would fit in well with the noble, heroic champions of chivalry *cough* that are the modern Flesh-eater Courts and, as I have a scheme afoot to put together a little Warcry warband of ghoulish horrors, I thought it was high time he enjoyed a reinvention.
Surely when the good people of the Realms see him approaching, accompanied by the other knights, nobles and men-at-arms of the court, they’ll know that salvation from evil is at hand!
Before tackling the Chapel, or any of the other forthcoming projects, there’s still the little matter of the living dead to be dealt with. After the struggle to get the skeleton’s painted tackling the ghouls was remarkably uncomplicated. Partly it’s the fact that ghouls are a lot easier to paint than skeletons, partly it’s that I really like the models (not that I have any bones with the skeletons mind you) and partly it’s that a combination of the previous factors means I did a much better job of painting them last time I tackled this project so there wasn’t nearly so much work involved this time round.
Although I first created this chap back in (roughly) 2010 he always makes me think of IRO, fellow blogger and fan of ghoulish jesters.
I’m sure you know the drill by now but any feedback or suggestions you have are more than welcome in the comments box.