I’m coming rather late to DreadTober but I’ve been watching from the sidelines for a while. Now, with half the month already gone and a track record for taking my time with larger models, I’ve decided to jump in. Some people may think this is rather foolhardy… and they’d probably be right.
For those not in the know DreadTober is an online event the aim of which is to paint a Dreadnaught (or equivalent Deffdreads, Helbrutes, etc) by the end of October. Again, I’m aware that it’s already the 15th – you’re making me feel pressurised by bringing that up all the time you know! Stop it or you’ll make me cry!
Anyway, if you want to be inspired head over to the site itself and check out some of the extremely impressive and creative work that’s going on there. I’ve decided that my challenge will be to paint this monstrous beast who’s been glowering at me from the corner of the painting desk for altogether too long. I first showed him in this post from last November so, in spite of my slight embarrassment that this was nearly a year ago, it seems nicely circular that I should now be aiming to get him painted by the end of October. Hopefully this will serve as the inspirational spur that finally gets me started and turns him from an unattractive lump of grey plastic into a debonair inhabitant of the 41st Millennium. As if the bar wasn’t set high enough already I’ve discovered that he’s now rather worse for wear – thanks to a recent house-move several of his tentacles have broken off and some have disappeared entirely. So as well as getting him painted I’ll need to patch him up as well. Oh, and take some work-in-progress shots to document his progression (something that regular readers will know I avoid like the plague!) Here goes!